Tuesday, November 22, 2011

~ruffle stocking tutorial~

Hello everyone!!

sheesh ~ we are having major rain and wind
today......lovely little storm to welcome in
the holidays....:}



lucky for me I don't have to go out in it too much...
I mean, certainly wouldn't want to head to the gym
or anything crazy like that......
and even though I have rain gear....I certainly won't be running outside in
this....I mean, if I did that, I might accidentally burn a few calories.....


so I'm excited to show you this tutorial on
making ruffled stockings....seems everyone
was pretty excited to give it a try ~ so
here we go!! 

If you need a stocking pattern you can find one

once you have your pattern cut out
you can cut out your stocking pieces

*you'll be cutting:
2 stocking pieces in white linen
2 lining pieces in white muslin
one piece of linen for the ruffle
one piece of linen for the hang tab

~side note: you'll need approx. 1/2 yard of each
fabric~

~*~
first, pin and then sew together
the muslin stocking pieces &
the linen stocking pieces.

but....leave a 3 inch opening in the muslin
piece~ about half way down between the top
of the stocking & the heal of the stocking.

now set those aside & let's work on the ruffle!
 

for this pattern, the stocking opening
is about 17 inches around (8.5 inches wide at the top)

so cut approximately one yard
of linen 3.5 inches wide
(for this ruffle as shown, I used about
2x the fabric for gathering)

first: hem the strip if you want a hem,
(just fold over 1/2 inch, iron & fold over 1/2 again and iron for a nice hem)
or
leave it and pull 4 or 5 "rows" of  threads
if you want the frayed ruffle

second: gather the fabric
here is a good video tutorial on gathering
if you would like to see a neat technique I use!
except I use quilting thread not dental floss :)

third:  fold the ruffle over (right sides together)
to form a loop ~ measure it to make sure you
have the right size to match the opening of
the stocking, for this pattern it will be approx. 8.5 inches across, for a total
of 17 inches around
 and leave yourself a 1/2 inch for
seam allowance.  Now sew the little seam to
form a loop.

next, you're going to pin the ruffle to the linen
stocking piece that has been sewn together and
is now right side out
pin the raw edges together, with the ruffle
also right side out
(I know it seams weird to do it that way, but trust me...hee hee ;} )


now go ahead a sew the ruffle on to the top, using
a 1/2 inch seam allowance, or so......making sure
you line up the seams of the ruffle piece & the stocking piece...
{just looks better that way}

next you need to make your little hanging tab....
just cut a piece of linen approx. 8x2 inches and
fold the edges over 1/2 inch (both long edges)
iron, then fold over again, so there's no raw edges...
then stitch down the side


you'll end up with a nice finished tab like this.....


now pin that piece onto the ruffle (raw edges together)
and make sure it's on the heal side of the stocking!!!
{not that I did that wrong once or twice....argh....Mr. T & T was like well,
it looks fine that way....ahahahahahah....I'm like, no honey, you can't hang
stockings like that....hee hee....what a cutie}

if I were you, I would quickly stitch that little
guy on, cuz that little tab is known to aggravate & terrorize
certain linen shoppe owners by slipping out while
stitching the whole piece together....ahem....

and one more thing.....make sure you line up the tab
with the ruffle seam & stocking seam....

ok next the fun & magical part....:)


tuck the whole linen piece into the muslin piece....
the linen piece will be right side out, tucked into
the muslin piece which is inside out


like sooooo..........
next you're going to pin all the raw edges together
and sew around the whole thing.....


now for the a.m.a.z.i.n.g. part.....

remember the little 3 inch section you remembered
to leave unstitched...

oh you forgot?
yup....so did I....only every single time though....

for you smarties out there who didn't forget,
good job!  for the rest of us....get out your seam ripper
and open up the muslin seam about 3 inches...hahahaha


now reach in there & start pulling the stocking out
through the opening...



keep pulling it through.....see how cool this is?

voila!!!!
a lined ruffle stocking!!
just like magic :)


you did it!!

now after you admire your amazing work ~ you
can pull out the lining and stitch down the little opening...
I just top stitch over it right along the edge....

there ya have it!

any questions??

send 'em over to me & I'll see if I know the answer :)


Remember there's still time to enter
the 2 stocking giveaway!!

the winner will be announced Thanksgiving morning....

Have a wonderful day or 2 of baking, and
enjoying time with family & friends!


xoxoxo,


Shellagh














14 comments:

The Little Red Shop said...

Oh, it looks so sweet and lovely! Thank you for the tutorial. So pretty!!

Happy Thanksgiving Week,

: )

Julie M.

All Seasons said...

This is so nice, what you have make, so lovely!
I'm going follow your blog.

Have a nice evening
Hugs,
Patricia

It's me said...

Love from me..........♥.. ♥... ♥....

Little Cottage said...

Hi there,
I got lost in your blog & realized I have been smiling throughout your tutorials & stories alike!
You are so clever with the sewing machine & I love how you do the DIY projects.
Thank you so much for a wonderful time "with you".
I'll be back!
-Sylvi

Anonymous said...

What a great tutorial..Have a great Thanksgiving..

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Oh I wish I could sew when I see stuff like this! So pretty.

♥Linsey

Jackie said...

Love the ruffled stocking. May I ask where you purchase your linen material? I really enjoy reading your blog.

Blondie's Journal said...

You are amazing...I couldn't do this for the life of me! Beautiful!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

XO,
Jane

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

Oh if only I had an ounce of your talent...or you lived next door!!! LOVELY!! x0x0

Rebecca said...

Hi Shellagh
Great tutorial... stockings are fun! Those look great.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving
Blessings
Rebecca

manu said...

thank you thank you thankssssssssssss kisses Manu

Debbie said...

Thanks for sharing your great ideas!!! Your a very talented artist with so many fun ideas and projects.

Now I'm going to have to make me some of these cute stockings!!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!!

Debbie
x0x0x

Gustaviana said...

heee wat leuk nog iemand gevonden die een passie heeft om oude meubels op te knappen en stofferen van stoelen ... heerlijk ik ga je volgen .... hier wil ik niets van missen groetjes Viana

Anonymous said...

j'adore elle est superbe,
merci pour le tuto
rose

Blog Widget by LinkWithin